There may be some confusion as you enter into the world of Belize real estate. So, what do you look for when it comes time to choose the perfect realtor? These three tips should get you started:
- If possible, visit the office. Whether you’re a veteran home buyer or this is your very first purchase, it’s a good idea to get a feel for the agency you want to work with. If you are searching for Realtors via phone calls or the Internet, check out the company website for a sense of services offered.
- Talk to the realtors. Tell them what you’re looking for. If this is your 10th home purchase you may wish for a little less hand holding. If you’re a bit nervous about this transaction, let your real estate agent know. Become familiar with the agents in the office so that you can make a decision on whom you’ll be work with.
- Once you have an agent’s name, have a discussion with that person. That same gut feeling that has guided you through life will tell you if the agent seems genuinely plugged-in to your situation. You’re going to be spending a great deal of time interacting with your agent for the foreseeable future. Make sure you enjoy speaking with him or her.
Important Questions to Ask The Realtor
Once you’ve met an agent you click with, be sure to ask plenty of questions. Here are some sample questions to guide your discussion.
- How long have you been a Realtor? There is no rule stating that an experienced agent is better than a new agent, but asking how long a person has been selling Belize real estate will give you a better sense of how often they have run into (and overcome) obstacles.
- Which areas do you cover? Knowing how far a Realtor’s area of expertise extends will indicate how far he or she will travel to help you find the perfect home.
- What is your average number of clients? On one hand, an extremely busy Realtor is a good sign. It means clients trust him or her. On the other hand, you want to know that your Realtor has time for you, that you won’t have to stand in line to have questions answered.
- What is your support team like? Most Realtors have a team of professionals who support them by stepping in when the agent is unable to get back to you. Find out about your agent’s team.
- What is your communication style? If texts drive you nuts, this would be the perfect time to mention it. If going days without hearing from your agent makes you anxious, now is the time to let the agent know.
- Can you recommend vendors? If you are moving to Belize for the first time, you want to know that your agent is able to recommend other professionals you will need, including lenders, home inspectors, and contractors. It’s important to remember though, you have the right to work with any vendors you choose. Realtor recommendations are a courtesy, a place to begin looking if you so desire.
- Will you provide three references for me to call? Yes, it takes a streak of courage to ask this question, but a strong Realtor will respect your desire to check in with his or her past clients in order to get a better sense of who you are working with.
And finally, ask a prospective agent if he or she has any questions for you. You can tell a great deal about someone by the kinds of things they want to know. Anyone can ask you how many beds and baths you are looking for, but a truly interested agent will want to know about the lifestyle you hope to achieve, about what you want your life in Belize to look like. If you’re looking for a real estate agent in Belize, look no further than Re/Max Island Real Estate. We’re here to help you find your perfect island home!